If you find yourself looking for something fresh, fabulous and nutritious to do with zucchini, it’s time to think outside the stir-fry. Zucchini makes a marvelous partner for quinoa in this zippy, whole-grain pilaf that will fill your family up and make them look forward to the leftovers. Serve with your favorite lean meat off the grill for a complete dinner that will delight your senses.
Quinoa is an up-and-comer of the foodie world right now, and there’s no reason to be intimidated by this new grain if you haven’t used it before. This simple, tangy pilaf is is perfect introduction to a fabulous pantry staple, and what’s more, this recipe breaths new life into overabundant zucchini.
Servings: 6 (201 G )
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- 1/2 cup parsley, American, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mint, fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, stems removed
- 2 cup water
- 1 lemon, zest & juice
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
1. In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to boil. Stir in the quinoa. Return to a boil, then cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Continue simmering until quinoa is cooked, approximately 12-15 minutes.
2. In the meantime, using a food processor with the grate-blade, shred the 2 zucchini.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded zucchini with the parsley, mint, lemon zest and juice, oil, salt and pepper
4. Stir in hot & steamy quinoa and mix well. Cover bowl with foil or a dish towel and allow the steam from the quinoa to soften the zucchini.
5. Pour into a serving bowl and serve hot or at room temperature.