Guiding Stars has done most of the work for you by narrowing your choices to those foods that are the most heart-healthy. However, it’s important that you read the label to be sure the product meets the specific nutritional needs that your doctor recommends.
Rules of Thumb
- Check sodium content on the label to help track sodium intake each day.
- Look at fat calories in relation to total calories. Try to limit your fat calories to 30% of total calories.
- Limit fat to 3g per serving.
– Limit saturated fat to 2g per serving.
– Limit sodium to 250mg per serving.
– Limit cholesterol to 300mg per day.
- Strive to eat foods with 2-3g of fiber per serving.
– Aim for 28-35g of fiber per day.