If you spend any time browsing sites like Pinterest, you’ve probably come across a multitude of recipes for Frozen Chocolate Banana Pops, like this version from Joy of Baking. The trouble is that, even with fruit at their heart, these sorts of treats are still very much treats. Bananas are naturally high enough in sugar that as soon as you add any extra sugar, such as the sugar you’d find in a chocolate coating, you’ll lose the Guiding Star rating. That’s all well and good for a sometimes food, but for a better balanced daily treat, try this instead:
1. Peel a banana and cut it in half. Poke a popsicle stick into the cut end of each half.
2. Coat each half with about a tablespoon of either star-earning nut butter or star-earning, fruit-flavored yogurt.
3. For extra crunch, dip in chopped nuts.
4. Lay on a plate or baking tray lined with parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze until solid.
5. Enjoy your refreshing snack!
PRO TIP: Freeze bananas when they’re thoroughly ripe for the best sweetness.