Thick, hearty, packed with flavorful veggies and two kinds of lentils, this soup is the best kind of comfort food for winter. Serve with crusty whole-grain bread.
Number of Servings: 4 (476 G )
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lg. carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 med. sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. lemon pepper
- 1 t. Italian herbs
- 1/4 t. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 c. green lentils
- 1/2 c. red lentils
- 5 c. low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 t. turmeric
- 2 T. olive oil
- 3 c. kale, chopped
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add all of the vegetables and salt. Saute until just softened.
- Stir in the lemon pepper, Italian herbs, red pepper and all lentils. Add the broth and stir. Turn the heat to low and cover. Cook for 30-40 minutes until veggies and lentils are tender.
- Puree about half of the soup to thicken.
- Turn off the heat and stir in remaining ingredients.