Squash blossoms, much like corn and zucchini, are abundant in the late summer garden. This soup uses all three and uses the blossoms themselves both for flavor, cooked into the soup, and for texture.
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped into ¼" pieces
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 small Yukon gold potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 24 large squash blossoms
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, deseeded and chopped into ¼" pieces
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into ¼" pieces
- Kernels from 1 large ear of corn
- ½ cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
⅛ tsp. salt
- Flat Leaf Parsley
- In a medium, heavy-bottomed pot, warm oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion, stirring to coat. Cook until the onions are lightly golden, stirring occasionally (about 6 minutes). Scoop out half of the onions and set aside.
- Add vegetable broth and chopped potato to the pot and bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, drop down the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered (20 minutes).
- While the broth is simmering, break off the squash blossom stems, peel off the sepals and pluck out the stamen.
- Divide blossoms into two even piles then slice into ¼” strips (including the bulbous base). Add one pile of slices to the simmering stock and cook (3 minutes). Carefully blend the mixture until smooth.
- Add the poblano, milk and reserved onion to the soup, stirring to combine. Simmer the mixture (10 minutes).
- Add zucchini and corn. Let simmer (3 minutes).
- Add the other pile of sliced squash blossoms. Continue simmering (2 minutes), then take the mixture off of the heat.
- Stir in yogurt and season with salt. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
*Optional garnishes have not been included in the rating of this recipe.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 30g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 10g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 12g|
|Vitamin D 0.7mcg||6%|
|Vitamin A 177.8mcg||20%|
|Vitamin C 22.5mg||25%|
|Vitamin E 1.7mg||15%|
|Vitamin K 8.3mcg||6%|
|Vitamin B6 0.6mg||35%|
|Vitamin B12 0.5mcg||20%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (water, Organic Carrots, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Leeks, Organic Tomato Puree (organic Tomatoes, Sea Salt, Citric Acid), Organic Mushrooms, Organic Garlic, Organic Spices, Organic Sea Salt), 1% Milk, Zucchini Squash, Small Potato, Onion, Corn, Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt (skim Milk, Active Bacterial Culture, Vitamin As Palmitate, Vitamin D3), Poblano Pepper, Squash Blossoms, Canola Oil, Salt.