Make this easy and delicious meal when chard is in season locally to make sure the greens bring their buttery best to this combination of bite-sized pasta and simple beans.
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. gnocchi
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup water
- 6 cups chopped chard leaves
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown (5-7 minutes). Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat, until onion begins to soften (3-4 minutes). Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft (4-6 minutes). Add chard and stir until starting to wilt (1-2 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling (3-4 minutes).
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3g|
|Total Carbohydrate 50g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 10g|
|Vitamin D 0.1mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 150.9mcg||15%|
|Vitamin C 40.4mg||45%|
|Vitamin E 1.5mg||15%|
|Vitamin K 302.3mcg||250%|
|Vitamin B6 0.1mg||6%|
|Vitamin B12 0.2mcg||8%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Gnocchi (potato Flakes (dehydrated Potatoes), Water, Enriched Durum Flour (durum Flour (niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid)) Potato Starch, Salt, Beta Carotene), Diced Tomatoes With Italian Herbs (organic Tomatoes, Organic Tomato Juice, Sea Salt, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride, Organic Basil, Organic Oregano, Organic Garlic Powder, Organic Thyme), White Beans (white Beans, Water, Potassium Chloride, And Salt), Swiss Chard, Water, Onion, Shredded Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese (pasteurized Part-skim Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt And Enzymes, Potato Starch, Corn Starch And Calcium Sulfate Added To Prevent Caking, Natamycin (a Natural Mold Inhibitor)), Parmesan Cheese ((pasteurized Part-skim Cow's Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Cellulose Powder Added To Prevent Caking, Potassium Sorbate To Protect Flavor), Olive Oil, Garlic, Black Pepper.
It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to stock up on new gear, so your students are prepared to start the school year in style. Don’t forget about school lunch as you create your shopping lists. Whether your family has decided between school lunch or lunch from home, there will likely be a field trip where your child could use these lunch supplies. Parents have a lot of cool new products to choose from to ensure that their child’s lunch is not only nutritious and safe, but also looks appetizing at lunch time. For this month’s Nutritious Nudge, I created a list of lunch supplies and considerations to help parents with their back to school shopping.