Roasting is the key to the full-bodied flavor of this chilled soup. Serve in late summer with a simple salad of greens and good, crusty, whole-grain bread for an elegant meal that will cool you down even as it delights you with its spice.
- 3 lb. carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1½ tsp. whole coriander seeds
- 1½ tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1½ tsp. whole mustard seeds (yellow or brown)
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425º F. In a large bowl, toss carrots, canola oil, coriander, cumin, mustard seeds, and salt and pepper to taste. Turn carrots out onto baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and roast, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender and well-browned, about 40 minutes. Remove tray from oven.
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft but not browned. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant. Add carrots and stock, cover, and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer soup, partially covered, until carrots have absorbed cooking liquid.
- Remove soup from heat and use a hand blender to blend until mostly smooth. Add yogurt and lime juice and blend until totally smooth.
- Let soup cool at room temperature for one hour, stirring occasionally. Transfer to refrigerator and let cool, stirring occasionally, until well chilled, about 45 minutes. Garnished with cilantro leaves and serve cold.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 3g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 50g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 12.5g||46%|
|Total Sugars 25g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 12g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 2917mcg||320%|
|Vitamin C 30.1mg||35%|
|Vitamin E 4.1mg||25%|
|Vitamin K 55.9mcg||45%|
|Vitamin B6 0.6mg||35%|
|Vitamin B12 0.3mcg||15%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Carrots, Low Sodium Vegetable Stock (water, Organic Carrots, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Leeks, Organic Tomato Puree (organic Tomatoes, Sea Salt, Citric Acid), Organic Mushrooms, Organic Garlic, Organic Spices, Organic Sea Salt), Onion, Plain Lowfat Yogurt (cultured Pasteurized Lowfat Milk, Whey Protein Concentrate, Nonfat Milk Solids, And Whey), Lime Juice, Canola Oil, Olive Oil, Garlic, Ginger, Cilantro, Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seeds, Coriander Seeds, Salt, Black Pepper.