Calcium from plant-based sources is a valuable addition to your diet, and this delicious vegetable dish is rich in it.
- 1 pound dried lima beans
- 3 1-1/2-ounce packages assorted dried wild mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups Swiss chard, stemmed and sliced
- Soak lima beans overnight, covered by at least an inch of water.
- Bring 2 cups water and dried mushrooms to boil in small saucepan. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl; reserve liquid in saucepan.
- Heat oil in heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, sauté until onion is tender. Drain beans and add to pot. Pour in mushroom liquid, leaving sediment behind. Add 6 cups water.
- Bring to a simmer. Stir in red pepper and thyme. Simmer until beans are tender, 45 minutes.
- Chop mushrooms and add to pot. Simmer uncovered over medium heat until beans and mushrooms are very tender, stirring occasionally and adding water to thin as needed.
- Add chard to beans. Cover and cook until chard is tender, stirring often.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4.5g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3g|
|Total Carbohydrate 47g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 14g||50%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 27g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 83.9mcg||10%|
|Vitamin C 10.1mg||10%|
|Vitamin E 1.4mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 230.2mcg||190%|
|Vitamin B6 0.4mg||25%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Large Lima Beans, Swiss Chard, Onion, Porcini Mushrooms, Olive Oil, Garlic, Red Pepper Flakes, Thyme.