- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sliced okra
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tsp. Cajun-Creole Seasoning, salt free
- 4 (8 oz.) bottles low sodium clam juice
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ lb. skinned red snapper or other firm white fish fillet, cut into 1" pieces
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ¾ lb. crayfish, peeled
- ¼ lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ tsp. hot sauce
- 4½ cups hot cooked brown rice
- Place flour in a 9″ cast-iron skillet; cook over medium heat until browned, stirring constantly with a whisk (20 minutes). (If flour browns too fast, remove it from heat, and stir until it cools down.) Remove from heat; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic; sauté until vegetables are tender (8 minutes).
- Add okra and tomato; cover and cook, stirring occasionally (5 minutes).
- Add water, Cajun-Creole Seasoning, clam juice, and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
- Gradually add browned flour, stirring with a whisk. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally (45 minutes).
- Add snapper (5 minutes).
- Add green onions, crayfish, and shrimp; cook until seafood is done (10 minutes).
- Stir in hot sauce; discard bay leaves. Serve gumbo over rice.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2.5g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 43g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||14%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 37g|
|Vitamin D 2.6mcg||15%|
|Vitamin A 48.5mcg||6%|
|Vitamin C 24.5mg||25%|
|Vitamin E 2.3mg||15%|
|Vitamin K 15.6mcg||15%|
|Vitamin B6 0.5mg||25%|
|Vitamin B12 6.7mcg||280%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Cooked Brown Rice (water, Brown Rice), Clam Juice, Water, Onion, Crawfish, Snapper, Tomatoes, Green Pepper, All Purpose Flour (wheat Flour, Benzoyl Peroxide, Amylase, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Shrimp, Okra, Celery, Salt Free Cajun Creole Seasoning Blend (paprika, Onion, Garlic, Black Pepper, Lemon Peel, Chile Pepper, Allspice, Thyme, Cloves, Mace, Red Pepper, Bay Leaf), Garlic, Soybean Oil, Hot Pepper Sauce (distilled Vinegar, Red Pepper, Salt), Bay Leaf.
Stock is one of my favorite things to make. For one thing, you take something that was destined for either the trash or the compost and you get more food out of it before you toss it. For another, you save money. For a third, you reduce your trash from cartons or bouillon wrappers. And finally, you can control the final product for both flavor and nutrition. If you have the freezer space, I highly recommend it.