Mix up your family’s tradition toppings with the spicy-sweet combination of onions and fennel, or make this elegant dish for a more elegant cocktail hour.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1¼ lbs. fennel bulbs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. minced fennel fronds
- ½ recipe Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is tender (5-7 minutes). Add the fennel and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until the fennel begins to soften (5-7 minutes).
- Turn the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring often, until the fennel is very tender and sweet (15-20 minutes). Season to taste with pepper. Stir in the fennel fronds, and remove from the heat.
- Roll out the pizza dough and place on a 12″ or 14″ pan or large baking sheep. Brush the pizza crust with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Spread the fennel mixture over the crust in an even layer. Bake until crust is brown (15-20 minutes).
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12.5g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 57g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||36%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 39g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Fennel, Water, Wheat Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Olive Oil, Onion, Garlic, Yeast, Salt, Sugar.
My daughter loves to be in the kitchen, experimenting with new recipes and practicing fun cake decorations. She looks forward to the arrival of her food magazine, endlessly searches Pinterest, then supplies me with shopping lists to replicate the perfect pictures she sees. Of course, this leads to the next thing she is also all about, which is parties and using them as an opportunity to showcase her latest kitchen adventures. Over the past few years, this has meant an annual Halloween party.