A great salad to bring to your next summertime picnic, this colorful dish is also a wonderful way to introduce your kids to new grains an veggies. Mix in one or two new options with old favorite and watch it disappear. If you like your salad a little more moist, splash a little balsamic vinegar on your portion. This salad keeps well, making leftovers and ideal packed lunch.
Number of Servings: 6 (267 G) Servings (267 G)
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry wheat berries
- 1/2 cup of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen, shelled edamame, thawed
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- In a medium sized sauce-pan, combine water and wheat berries and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes or until wheat berries are tender.
- Place in a strainer and run under cold water to cool quickly, drain well.
- Combine the wheat berries with the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours in advance.