Cabbage soup is inexpensive and hearty. For a more flavorful soup, add more garlic or onions to suit your tastes. Experiment with adding a few fresh herbs or carrots as well—whatever you have in your fridge.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound potatoes, skin on, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups white beans, cooked
- 1/2 medium cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- Warm the olive oil in a large thick-bottomed pot. Add the salt and potatoes. Cover and cook until tender and browning.
- Stir in the garlic and onion and cook until soft.
- Add the stock and the beans and bring the pot to a simmer. Stir in the cabbage and cook until the cabbage is almost soft. Serve warm.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 44g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||32%|
|Total Sugars 9g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 24g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 5.7mcg||0%|
|Vitamin C 56.3mg||60%|
|Vitamin E 1.4mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 92.5mcg||80%|
|Vitamin B6 0.5mg||30%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (filtered Water, Organic Carrots, Organic Tomatoes, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Garlic, Organic Leeks, Sea Salt, Organic Bay Leaves, Organic Parsley, Organic Thyme), Cabbage, Great Northern Beans (prepared Great Northern Beans, Water, Salt And Calcium Chloride), Diced Potatoes, Onion, Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt.
A White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health was held in September for the first time in over 50 years. The Conference coincided with the Biden Administration’s release of the National Strategy to improve our overall health and nutritional well-being. These are the goals of the Strategy that we think you should know about.