This recipe makes a fantastic appetizer on a warm night. The beautiful thing about chilled soups is that you can make them in advance for a quick and ready side dish anytime.
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 lbs. tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 6 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 tsp. chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup corn
- Purée yogurt and 4 tablespoons cilantro in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a separate bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Combine remaining ingredients except corn in a blender or food processor. Purée until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the corn.
- Refrigerate until chilled (1 hour).
- Serve soup with cilantro yogurt swirled on top.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
|Total Sugars 14g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 6g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Tomatoes, Plain Lowfat Yogurt (cultured Pasteurized Lowfat Milk, Whey Protein Concentrate, Nonfat Milk Solids, And Whey), Water, Whole Yellow Corn, Red Onion, Lime Juice, Chile Peppers, Cilantro, Cumin, Salt.
During the holidays, we gather with friends and family to lavish each other with love...often in the form of food. As much as we all enjoy the sweets this time of year, they can be rough on our systems. That's true of everyone, but especially true of people with conditions like diabetes who need to watch their food carefully to manage their blood sugar safely. This year, why not show your love by adding in one or two options to help your guests manage their health?