Creamy-smooth vegetable soups are the heart of cold weather eating. Parsnips fried to crispiness provide contrasting texture for a satisfying meal.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 3 cups coarsely chopped parsnip (about 1 lb.)
- 3 cups water
- 2½ cups coarsely chopped carrot (about 1 lb.)
- 2 (14 oz.) cans fat-free, low sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup (⅛" thick) sliced parsnip
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and cook until tender, stirring occasionally (10 minutes).
- Add chopped parsnip, water, carrot, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender (50 minutes). Remove from heat; let stand (5 minutes).
- Place half of carrot mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed carrot mixture in a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining carrot mixture. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining 5 teaspoons oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add parsnip slices; cook until lightly browned, turning occasionally (5 minutes). Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle parsnip chips and chives over soup.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||25%|
|Total Sugars 10g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 10g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 480.8mcg||50%|
|Vitamin C 21.6mg||25%|
|Vitamin E 2.2mg||15%|
|Vitamin K 28.7mcg||25%|
|Vitamin B6 0.2mg||10%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (water, Organic Carrots, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Leeks, Organic Tomato Puree (organic Tomatoes, Sea Salt, Citric Acid), Organic Mushrooms, Organic Garlic, Organic Spices, Organic Sea Salt), Water, Parsnips, Onion, Carrots, Olive Oil, Chives, Salt, Black Pepper.
Check out these five handy kitchen gadgets that'll level-up your culinary game, and also make excellent holiday gifts.