Join dietitians Kit Broihier and Allison Stowell on Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 12:00 PM ET for this free, one-hour webinar.
How can making mindful choices lead to better nutrition? Just in time for National Nutrition Month®, we’ll look at how our choice of foods, the way we prepare those foods and other aspects of meal time impact our satisfaction and eating enjoyment (and ultimately the nutritional quality of our diet). Learn how to adopt a better approach to food and nutrition as well as an overall healthful lifestyle.
This free, one-hour webinar has been approved for one CPE credit for Registered Dietitians and Dietetic Technicians, Registered. Meets learning codes 4030, 5370 and 8100. You will be able to:
- Define the phrase “mindful eating”
- Understand how food choices, meal time and meal enjoyment/satisfaction are connected to maintaining healthful diet
- Put the National Nutrition Month Theme (“Savor the Flavor of Eating Right”) into action with tips and tools for creating nutritious and satisfying food
- Discuss industry trends and ways food manufacturers are helping the home cook embrace meal time with health in mind
- Share educational tools and education with patients, clients, consumers, colleagues, students and others that enable them to prepare nutritious, satisfying meals that encourage a healthful lifestyle
- Center for Mindful Eating website
- Intuitive Eating website
- Slim By Design website (Brian Wansink, PhD)
- Guiding Stars Webinar: Rise of Mini Meals
- Beating Your Mindless Eating Habits
Physical Activity and Diet Technology
Meditation and Mindfulness Technology
Allison J Stowell MS, RD, CDN uses her background as a food and nutrition expert to help others adopt healthier living. She frequently speaks to community groups and leads seminars on nutrition, balanced diet, and disease prevention. As Guiding Stars’ Dietitian, Allison supports Guiding Stars partners in using Guiding Stars algorithms to educate the communities they serve. Her thoughts on nutrition can be found in her Guiding Stars health and wellness blog.
Allison also serves as a Retail Dietitian for Hannaford Supermarket, a Guiding Stars retail partner. Additionally, her professional journey includes maintaining a private practice that emphasizes a non-diet approach and increasing mindful eating to help her clients sustain positive health changes. She lives in Connecticut with her husband, two children and her dog Josie.
Kitty is a member of the Guiding Stars Scientific Advisory Panel, a panel of experts in the fields of nutrition and public health, formed to develop a set of criteria which resulted in the design of a now patented algorithm used to analyze food products. Kitty is also a food and nutrition communications expert and the owner of NutriComm Inc., a marketing and communications company that services food manufacturers, trade groups and public relations firms nationwide.
Previously on the editorial staff at Good Housekeeping magazine, she has written many magazine articles and contributes regularly to a variety of publications and websites, including the Guiding Stars blog. Kitty is also the co-author of several cookbooks. A member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and several of the association’s practice groups, she served two terms of service as the president of the Maine Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Kitty is also an adjunct instructor in the nutrition department at Southern Maine Community College. A mother to two young adults, she resides in Lisbon, Maine with her husband.