The Guiding Stars algorithm is scheduled to be updated at the end of January. The algorithm is the equation we use to determine how foods earn their rating of 0-3 stars, labeling them as good, better, or best nutritional choices. This 30-minute webinar is valuable to anyone who has ever wondered how the stars work.
This webinar will cover:
- A brief overview of Guiding Stars and how it works
- A discussion of our Scientific Advisory Panel and how they decide to implement changes
- A preview of what’s changing about the algorithm and why
- An overview of the impact of the algorithm changes
- FAQs about the Guiding Stars algorithm
- Food Dyes: A Rainbow of Risks (Center for Science in the Public Interest)
- Review article on artificial food colors and impact on child behavior
- 2012 Meta-Analysis on artificial food colors and hyperactivity/attention disorders in children
- FDA Q&As on Dietary Fiber Definition and Labeling
- Guiding Stars: the effect of a nutrition navigation program on consumer purchases at the supermarket
- Consumers’ Response to an On-Shelf Labeling System
As a Registered Dietitian, Allison enables individuals to make positive, sustainable changes in their eating habits by stressing conscious eating, improving relationships with food and offering a non-diet approach for reaching and maintaining ideal body weight.
She joins the Guiding Stars team to help people in a number of sectors (grocery, hospitals, schools and universities) to understand how to use the Guiding Stars nutrition navigation program to make healthier food choices.
Kitty has dedicated her career to helping businesses, public relations agencies, trade associations and the media navigate the ever-changing nutrition landscape. She is the president of NutriComm Inc., a consultancy specializing in food and nutrition communications. Kitty is also an adjunct faculty member of Southern Maine Community College’s Nutrition Department. Kitty has served on the board of the Maine Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for many years, including two terms as president.