The red onion jam used to top the fritters in this recipe is a delightful condiment for many things, but on these simple fritters, it will make you believe in zucchini again. The chickpea flour used here is a wonderful ingredient to play with and is probably available near the Indian foods section in your grocery story, but if you can’t find it, you can sub in regular flour.
Red Onion Jam:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour (besan)
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sprinkle with the ¼ teaspoon of salt. Cook until tender (5-7 minutes).
- Add the water and cook until the onion is soft and the water has cooked off (10-12 minutes). Stir in the vinegar and sugar and cook until the vinegar has cooked off (2-3 minutes)
- Pulse the chickpeas in a food processor until they form a thick paste. Mix well with the yellow onion and zucchini. Form 10 patties.
- Whisk together the garbanzo bean flour and the salt on a large plate. Gently dredge each cake in the flour.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with non-stick cooking spray. Cook cakes 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden. Transfer the cakes to a baking sheet.
- When all the cakes are cooked, bake 10 to 15 minutes more, until dark gold. Serve hot with the red onion jam.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4.5g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2g|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 14g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Chickpeas, Zucchini Squash, Water, Onion, Chickpea Flour, Red Wine Vinegar, Olive Oil, Sugar, Kosher Salt, Salt, Cooking Spray (canola Oil (adds A Trivial Amount Of Fat), Lecithin From Soybeans, Phosphated Mono- And Diglycerides, Dimethyl Silicone (for Anti-foaming), Rosemary Extract (preservative), Propellant).