This hearty dish made with sausage and white beans is a quicker variation on classic, slow-stewed ragouts. Look for low-sodium canned beans.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 (4 oz.) lean chicken sausage links, cut into (½") slices
- 1 zucchini, quartered and cut into (½") slices (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 6 cups chopped trimmed kale (about ½ lb.)
- ½ cup water
- 2 (16 oz.) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14½ oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and sausage until sausage is browned (4 minutes).
- Add zucchini and garlic; cook (2 minutes).
- Add kale and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until thoroughly heated (10 minutes). Serve immediately.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6.5g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 34g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.5g||39%|
|Total Sugars 7g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 3g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 544.4mcg||60%|
|Vitamin C 127.6mg||140%|
|Vitamin E 1.4mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 404.4mcg||340%|
|Vitamin B6 0.3mg||20%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Cannellini Beans (prepared Cannellini Beans, Water, Salt, Salt, Calcium Chloride (firming Agent), Disodium Edta (to Promote Color Retention)), Diced Tomatoes (tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Calcium Chloride, Citric Acid), Kale, Mild Chicken Sausage (skinless Chicken, Water, Red And Green Peppers, Sea Salt, Paprika, Fennel Seed, Pepper And Onion), Zucchini Squash, Water, Onion, Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt, Black Pepper.
It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to stock up on new gear, so your students are prepared to start the school year in style. Don’t forget about school lunch as you create your shopping lists. Whether your family has decided between school lunch or lunch from home, there will likely be a field trip where your child could use these lunch supplies. Parents have a lot of cool new products to choose from to ensure that their child’s lunch is not only nutritious and safe, but also looks appetizing at lunch time. For this month’s Nutritious Nudge, I created a list of lunch supplies and considerations to help parents with their back to school shopping.