- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 (15 oz.) can low sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 clove garlic, crushed with press
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. chipotle chile powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- cooking spray
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped jalapeño
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Cook rice as label directs; let cool.
- Make salsa by combining tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño, and salt. Set aside.
- In food processor, pulse rice, beans, corn, garlic, coriander, chile powder, salt, and ground black pepper until combined but still chunky. (This can be refrigerated, covered, up to 4 hours)
- Shape mixture into 4 (1″ thick) patties.
- Spray a 12″ nonstick skillet and heat on medium (1 minute).
- Cook burgers until browned, turning once (8-10 minutes).
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1g|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||21%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 11g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 39.6mcg||4%|
|Vitamin C 16.8mcg||20%|
|Vitamin E 1mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 10.6mcg||10%|
|Vitamin B6 0.3mg||20%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Tomatoes, Low Sodium Pinto Beans (water, Pinto Beans, Sea Salt), Brown Rice, Whole Yellow Corn, Lime Juice, Jalapeno Pepper, Garlic, Salt, Cooking Spray (canola Oil (adds A Trivial Amount Of Fat), Palm Oil (adds A Trivial Amount Of Fat), Coconut Oil (adds A Trivial Amount Of Fat), Lecithin From Soybeans (non Stick Agent), Dimethyl Silicone (for Anti-foaming), Rosemary Extract (preservative)), Cilantro, Chili Powder, Black Pepper, Coriander.
When it comes to preparing food, college dorm living can seem two steps away from camping. It only worsens when daytime dining hall options are limited to a scarcely stocked canteen or a busy schedule that requires a dorm room to be stocked with actual food. My colleagues have shared dorm room hacks and tips for turning your dorm room into a kitchen. As college students make the move to dorm rooms for another year it’s a good time to revisit these ideas and more.