Whether you’re cooking for one or scaling this recipe up to feed a bigger group, it’s worth the little extra effort to prepare this scrumptious vegetarian treat. Have your fork on standby: this is not a finger-friendly sandwich.
Number of Servings: 1 (259 G )
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 15 min.
- 4 oz. tempeh
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- Pinch salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole wheat submarine roll
- 2 Tbsp. Guiding Stars-earning marinara sauce
- 1 Tbsp. low-fat Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to broil and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Brush tempeh with the tomato paste. Sprinkle with the oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the tempeh and cook until brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Split the roll in half. Toast in the oven until just golden.
- Assemble the sandwich on the baking sheet. Place the tempeh on the roll and top with sauce and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted (2-3 minutes), watching closely to avoid burning it.