Whether you’re cooking for one or scaling this recipe up to feed a bigger group, it’s worth the little extra effort to prepare this scrumptious vegetarian treat. Have your fork on standby: this is not a finger-friendly sandwich.
- 4 oz. tempeh
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole wheat submarine roll
- 2 Tbsp. Guiding Stars-earning marinara sauce
- 1 Tbsp. low-fat Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to broil and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Brush tempeh with the tomato paste. Sprinkle with the oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the tempeh and cook until brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Split the roll in half. Toast in the oven until just golden.
- Assemble the sandwich on the baking sheet. Place the tempeh on the roll and top with sauce and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted (2-3 minutes), watching closely to avoid burning it.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 29.5g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 5.5g||25%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 6.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 14g|
|Total Carbohydrate 50g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 2g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Tempeh (organic Soybeans, Water, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Starter Culture (rhizopus Oligosporus)), Whole Grain Wheat Sub Roll (water, Whole Wheat Flour, Unbleached Enriched Flour (wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Yeast, Wheat Bran, Wheat Gluten, Contains 2% Or Less Of Each Of The Following: Sugar, Molasses, Wheat Flour, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Rolled Wheat, Rye Meal, Dough Conditioners (contains One Or More Of The Following: Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate, Monoglycerides, Mono- And Diglycerides, Distilled Monoglycerides, Calcium Peroxide, Calcium Iodate, Datem, Ethoxylated Mono- And Diglycerides, Enzymes, Ascorbic Acid), Soy Fiber, Canola Oil, Calcium Sulfate, Wheat Starch, Soy Lecithin, L-cysteine, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Soy Flour, Calcium Propionate (to Retard Spoilage)), Authentic Italian Tomato & Basil Marinara Pasta Sauce (tomatoes, Water, Canola Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Onion, Fennel, Garlic Powder, Salt, Black Pepper, Basil, Parsley, Oregano), Tomato Paste, Olive Oil, Nonfat Mozzarella Cheese (nonfat Mozzarella Cheese (pasteurized Skim Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes, Yeast (ingredient Not In Regular Mozzarella Cheese), Artificial Color, Vitamin A Palmitate), Potato Starch, Cellulose Powder And Calcium Sulfate Added To Prevent Caking, Natamycin (a Natural Mold Inhibitor)), Parmesan Cheese (milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Black Pepper, Oregano.
Overnight oatmeal is a piece of cake, and oatmeal is a great food to include in a heart-healthy diet. The only thing to watch out for is added sugar: many of us like our oatmeal covered in sugar. This recipe uses carrots and raisins and spice to minimize the need for sugar while keeping the flavor and texture high. It does include maple syrup, but you can leave the maple syrup out without hurting the flavor if you want to balance the nutrition a bit better.