If you love a good BLT, you’ll love this vegan twist on the old classic. Smoked paprika might not be in your cupboard yet, but it probably should be…the smoky spice is essential to giving tempeh that bacon-like oomph.
- 4 oz. tempeh, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, lightly toasted
- Sprinkle tempeh with paprika, cumin, pepper and salt.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet. Cook tempeh for about 4 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Mix mashed avocado with lime juice.
- Spread avocado on each slice of toast. Top with lettuce, tomato and crispy tempeh.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18.5g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11g|
|Total Carbohydrate 22g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 9g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Avocado, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Tempeh (organic Soybeans, Water, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Starter Culture (rhizopus Oligosporus)), Whole Grain Bread (unbromated Stone Ground 100% Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Unsulphured Molasses, Soybean Oil, Yeast, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Contains 2 Percent Or Less Of: Wheat Gluten, Calcium Propionate And Sorbic Acid To Retard Spoilage, Nonfat Milk (adds A Trivial Amount Of Cholesterol), Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Salt, Butter (adds A Trivial Amount Of Cholesterol), Honey, Mono And Diglycerides, Wheat Flour And Enzymes), Olive Oil, Lime Juice, Paprika, Salt, Black Pepper, Cumin.
Overnight oatmeal is a piece of cake, and oatmeal is a great food to include in a heart-healthy diet. The only thing to watch out for is added sugar: many of us like our oatmeal covered in sugar. This recipe uses carrots and raisins and spice to minimize the need for sugar while keeping the flavor and texture high. It does include maple syrup, but you can leave the maple syrup out without hurting the flavor if you want to balance the nutrition a bit better.