Layered like a casserole, this Mexican-inspired casserole will stun your taste buds by pairing the richly caramelized flavor of roasted sweet potatoes with the spice of fresh salsa and just a touch of melted cheese.
- 2 large or 3 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 jalapeño peppers, cleaned and halved
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 canned chile en adobo, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 15 small corn tortillas
- 2 (15 ounce) cans no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup part-skim shredded cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees Fahrenheit. Combine tomatoes, onion and jalapeños. Toss with 1 tablespoons vegetable oil and salt. Roast until tomatoes are soft and juicy and onions and peppers begin to brown, about 30 minutes.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil, cumin, chile powder and coriander. Roast until soft and browned, about 20 minutes.
- Lower oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit. Puree roasted tomatoes, onions, and jalapeños and garlic until smooth. Add chipotle, vinegar and blend again. Set salsa aside. Toast tortillas until just crisp.
- In a large lasagna pan, spread a thin layer of salsa. Break 1/3 of tortillas into large pieces and distribute over salsa. Sprinkle half the sweet potatoes, half the black beans and half the green onions over tortillas. Repeat layers, sprinkling the final layer with cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil. Bake until chilaquiles are hot and cheese has melted, about 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until top layer of cheese is browned, about 15 minutes. Serve with avocado, cilantro and lime.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 7g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6g|
|Total Carbohydrate 64g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 15g||54%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 16g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 355.6mcg||40%|
|Vitamin C 28.2mg||30%|
|Vitamin E 2.9mg||20%|
|Vitamin K 54.2mcg||45%|
|Vitamin B6 0.5mg||30%|
|Vitamin B12 0.1mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Black Beans, Unsalted Corn Tortilla (stone Ground Corn, Fumaric Acid, Cellulose Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Propionate, Trace Of Lime), Tomatoes, Sweet Potato, Onion, Avocado, Limes, Lowfat Cheddar Cheese (milk, Cultures, Enzymes, Salt), Soybean Oil, Jalapeno Pepper, Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce (water, Tomato Paste, Dried Chipotle Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Corn Oil, Less Than 2% Of Iodized Salt (contains Potassium Iodate), Corn Starch, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Spices), Red Wine Vinegar, Garlic, Chili Powder, Cumin, Salt, Coriander.