This star-worthy casserole will please everyone at your holiday gatherings.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon brandy flavoring
- Boil the sweet potatoes whole in a large pot for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a large bowl of cold water. Soak until cool enough to handle. Peel.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray a 1-quart casserole dish with vegetable oil spray.
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until heated through.
- Although sweet potatoes and yams are similar, they come from different plants. Yams are common in Central and South America, but almost everything sold in the United States as yams are really sweet potatoes.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||12%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 14g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 739mcg||80%|
|Vitamin C 8.7mg||10%|
|Vitamin E 0.3mg||2%|
|Vitamin K 2mcg||2%|
|Vitamin B6 0.2mg||15%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Sweet Potatoes, Orange Juice, Walnuts, Almond Extract, Ground Nutmeg.
It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to stock up on new gear, so your students are prepared to start the school year in style. Don’t forget about school lunch as you create your shopping lists. Whether your family has decided between school lunch or lunch from home, there will likely be a field trip where your child could use these lunch supplies. Parents have a lot of cool new products to choose from to ensure that their child’s lunch is not only nutritious and safe, but also looks appetizing at lunch time. For this month’s Nutritious Nudge, I created a list of lunch supplies and considerations to help parents with their back to school shopping.