Forget nachos. Forget loaded potato skins. These stuffed sweet potatoes will be your family’s new favorite healthy “junk” food. Loaded with fiber and other essential nutrients and absolutely bursting with flavor, this is one meal you can be glad the kids are begging for. If you don’t want to go to the trouble of stuffing the skins, the filling also makes an excellent hot dip for whole grain tortilla chips.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added corn, rinsed and drained
- Salt-free Mexican seasoning, to taste
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- ½ yellow onion, minced
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 1 oz. lowfat cream cheese
- ¼ cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 6 Tbsp. part-skim, low-sodium cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Bake the sweet potatoes until soft, 30-45 minutes.
- Dry-toast corn with Mexican seasoning in a non-stick skillet until nicely browned. Combine with black beans and set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the onions until translucent.
- When sweet potatoes are cooked and cool enough to handle, cut them in half. Scoop out most of the flesh.
- Combine the sweet potato flesh with the chipotle peppers, cream cheese, yogurt and salt. When well-mixed, stir in the roasted corn and bean mix, sautéed onions, and cilantro.
- Fill each skin with vegetable mix and top each with 1 tablespoon of cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned (2-3 minutes).
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6.5g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 57g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||44%|
|Total Sugars 7g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 38g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Corn (corn, Salt), Sweet Potatoes, Black Beans, Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce (chipotle Peppers, Water, Tomato Puree, Vegetable Oil (corn Or Safflower), Wheat Flour, Salt, Vinegar, Starch, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Caramel Color And Spices), Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt (cultured Grade A Non Fat Milk), Onion, Monterey Jack Cheese (pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes, Potato Starch, Corn Starch And Calcium Sulfate Added To Prevent Caking. Natamycin), Neufchatel Cheese (pasteurized Nonfat Milk And Milkfat, Cheese Culture, Salt, Xanthan Gum, Carob Bean Gum, Guar Gum), Cilantro, Canola Oil, Salt.
If you're out on a long bike ride or energy-draining hike and need a light, filling, nutritious snack that will make your tastebuds smile, reach for these! They're easy to make and store well at room temperature--perfect for busy days on the go.