The tough skin of avocado makes a perfect bowl to support a heaping serving of veggies on top of the creamy green flesh of the avocado itself. For a cheaper and faster alternative to the vegan “cream” described below, substitute plain, non-fat Greek yogurt.
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ cup corn
- ½ red onion, minced
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped and divided
- 1 Tbsp. salt-free Mexican seasoning
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 avocados, halved and pitted
- Dry toast your cleaned quinoa for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Add vegetable broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Combine chopped vegetables, half of cilantro and the spice mix. When quinoa is cooked, add to vegetable mixture and cool.
- Drain the cashews and place them in a food processor with 1/4 cup water, vinegar and salt. Puree, adding extra water in small increments as needed to get the desired texture. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the remaining cilantro and refrigerate.
- Divide the slightly cooled vegetable mixture evenly across avocado halves. Serve with a dollop of the cashew cream and garnish with the remaining cilantro.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 32.5g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 5.5g||30%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 5.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 19.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 55g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 16g||57%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 22g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 55mcg||6%|
|Vitamin C 31.8mg||35%|
|Vitamin E 3.8mg||25%|
|Vitamin K 42.1mcg||35%|
|Vitamin B6 0.6mg||35%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Avocado, Black Beans (black Beans, Water, Salt), Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (water, Organic Carrots, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Leeks, Organic Tomato Puree (organic Tomatoes, Sea Salt, Citric Acid), Organic Mushrooms, Organic Garlic, Organic Spices, Organic Sea Salt), Unsalted Dry Roasted Cashews, Whole Grain Quinoa, Whole Yellow Corn, Red Bell Pepper, Onion, Cilantro, Cider Vinegar, Mexican Seasoning (onion, Garlic, Basil, Cumin, Red Pepper, Oregano, Jalapeno Pepper, Cilantro), Salt.