If you’d like to explore tempeh but aren’t sure of how to try it, this basic stir-fry is an excellent recipe to start with. Don’t feel chained to the vegetable list: as with most stir-fry recipes, this recipe is well-suited to using up odds and ends of veggies leftover from other recipes.
- 1½ cups brown rice
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil, divided
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. multigrain tempeh, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ¾ lb. asparagus spears, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 (6 oz.) pkg. shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- When rice has 15-20 minutes left to cook, whisk together broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat half the sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tempeh, and stir-fry until golden (4-5 minutes). Remove tempeh from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining half of the sesame oil in the same pan. Add garlic, crushed red pepper, asparagus, and mushrooms. Stir-fry until asparagus is just tender (3 minutes).
- Add broth mixture and bring to a boil. Cook until thickened (2-3 minutes).
- Add tempeh, and cook until thoroughly heated (1 minute). Serve over brown rice.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3g|
|Total Carbohydrate 54g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.5g||32%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 4g|
|Vitamin D 0.2mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 48.6mcg||6%|
|Vitamin C 5.9mg||6%|
|Vitamin E 1.5mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 36.5mcg||30%|
|Vitamin B6 0.5mg||30%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Brown Rice, Asparagus, Five Grain Tempeh (filtered Water, Organic Soybeans, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Sesame Seeds, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Organic Millet, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Starter Culture (rhizopus Oligosporous)), Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (water, Organic Carrots, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Leeks, Organic Tomato Puree (organic Tomatoes, Sea Salt, Citric Acid), Organic Mushrooms, Organic Garlic, Organic Spices, Organic Sea Salt), Shiitake Mushroom, Low Sodium Soy Sauce (water, Wheat, Soybeans, Salt, Lactic Acid, Sodium Benzoate: Less Than 1/10th Of 1% As A Preservative), Sesame Oil, Garlic, Cornstarch, Red Pepper Flakes.
The holiday season is here and with that comes an inevitable abundance of treats in our offices, homes and basically everywhere else. And who am I to complain? This dietitian has a sweet tooth and enjoys a cookie swap as much as the next person. Yet, with extra sweets available at work, a plate of your neighbor’s famous fudge delivered to your doorstep and multiple holiday parties to attend, it’s easy to lose balance.