Cooking without oil is a great Asian technique for keeping the amount of fat in your diet on the low side. This simple side uses broth to keep the aromatics from sticking, creating a delicious sauce in the process. Serve with your favorite protein over whole grains.
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, whites and greens sliced and separated
- 1½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 5 button mushrooms, quartered
- 5 shitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 4 cups chopped bok choy
- Sauté ginger, garlic, and green onion whites in broth until fragrant (2-3 minutes).
- Add mushrooms and cook until they’ve released their liquid (4-5 minutes).
- Whisk together cornstarch and water and whisk into broth to thicken.
- Add bok choy and stir, cooking until wilted (2-3 minutes). Serve garnish with remaining green onion greens.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0.5g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||7%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 5g|
|Vitamin D 0.1mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 158.3mcg||20%|
|Vitamin C 33.1mg||35%|
|Vitamin E 0.1mg||0%|
|Vitamin K 39.6mcg||35%|
|Vitamin B6 0.3mg||10%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (filtered Water, Organic Carrots, Organic Tomatoes, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Garlic, Organic Leeks, Sea Salt, Organic Bay Leaves, Organic Parsley, Organic Thyme), Bok Choy, Shiitake Mushroom, Mushrooms, Water, Cornstarch, Onion, Ginger, Garlic.
It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to stock up on new gear, so your students are prepared to start the school year in style. Don’t forget about school lunch as you create your shopping lists. Whether your family has decided between school lunch or lunch from home, there will likely be a field trip where your child could use these lunch supplies. Parents have a lot of cool new products to choose from to ensure that their child’s lunch is not only nutritious and safe, but also looks appetizing at lunch time. For this month’s Nutritious Nudge, I created a list of lunch supplies and considerations to help parents with their back to school shopping.