Scrumptious, fresh-as-you-like meat sauce served over spaghetti is one of the easiest American favorites to master. If you’re able to make just the right amount for the folks you’re serving, you can up your pasta game with this easy trick: cook your pasta until it’s not quite al dente, drain all but ½ cup of the pasta cooking water and stir in your sauce to cook with the pasta for the final minute or two. Your sauce will adhere better to the pasta for a fuller flavor experience all around.
Money-Saving Tip: This sauce is meat-heavy. If you’re feeding a big crowd or working to make the portions of meat in your diet smaller, don’t be afraid to double the sauce ingredients except for the meat to make it go further.
Tomato Lovers: Can’t get enough of tomatoes? Give that tomato flavor a super boost by adding a few tablespoons of tomato paste after you drain the meat.
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 (28 oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 lb. whole wheat spaghetti
- Coat large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over high.
- Add turkey and cook, stirring, until brown through (5 minutes). Drain off and discard fat.
- Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, and pepper. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are soft and well cooked down (25-30 minutes).
- While sauce is cooking, cook spaghetti according to directions. Top spaghetti with sauce to serve.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2g|
|Total Carbohydrate 64g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|Total Sugars 7g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 48g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Diced Tomatoes, 94% Ground Turkey, Whole Wheat Spaghetti (durum Whole Wheat Semolina, Niacin, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulphate (iron), Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate), Onion, Green Pepper, Garlic, Black Pepper, Oregano.