Beets are a delightful vegetable. They’re sweet and earthy…and they turn everything pink! Nowhere does their fantastic natural dyeing power show so beautifully as in this spaghetti dish, where the spaghetti goes bright pink, which looks downright tempting with the lovely greens. This dish isn’t complicated, and it’s a great way to invite kids to learn how to cook and peel beets the easy way.
- 2 bunches beets, with tops
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper ½ tsp. salt
- 1 lb. spaghetti, cooked
- Trim stems from beet tops. Coarsely chop beet greens and set aside.
- Place beets and ½ cup water in a deep microwave-safe baking dish; cover and cook in microwave oven until tender (15- 20 minutes).
- Rinse beets under cold running water until cool enough to handle. Peel and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and crushed red pepper until garlic is golden (1 minute).
- Increase heat to medium-high and add beet greens, beets, and salt to skillet. Cook until just greens are just wilted and beets are warm (2-3 minutes).
- Toss beets and greens with cooked spaghetti and serve warm.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12.5g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 118g||39%|
|Dietary Fiber 13g||52%|
|Total Sugars 26g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 79g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Beets, Spaghetti (wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt, Crushed Red Chili Pepper.
Want to really get kids excited about cooking? Invite them to participate in a junior chef competition! On March 15, 2018 the Bethel Public School district in Connecticut held their annual Future Chefs All-Star Edition cooking competition sponsored by Sodexho.