Beets bring a sweet flavor and a bright pink color to this soup. If you’re able to buy beets with the greens intact, braise them and serve them with the soup and fresh whole-grain bread.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium beets, peeled and halved
- 1 medium potato, peeled and halved crosswise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 8 tsp. reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until tender (3 minutes).
- Add broth and next 6 ingredients (through bay leaf). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, until beets and potato are tender (20 minutes). Discard bay leaf.
- Place one-third broth mixture in blender or food processor; process until smooth. Place pureed mixture in a large bowl. Repeat procedure twice with remaining broth mixture.
- Return pureed mixture to pan. Warm soup over low heat until thoroughly heated (5 minutes). Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice.
- Combine 1/2 cup soup and the sour cream, stirring with a whisk. Divide soup evenly among each of 8 bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream mixture; swirl sour cream mixture using the tip of a knife.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1.5g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 11g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||7%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 6g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 38.1mcg||4%|
|Vitamin C 8.5mg||10%|
|Vitamin E 0.1mg||0%|
|Vitamin K 1.2mcg||0%|
|Vitamin B6 0.1mg||6%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (water, Organic Carrots, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Leeks, Organic Tomato Puree (organic Tomatoes, Sea Salt, Citric Acid), Organic Mushrooms, Organic Garlic, Organic Spices, Organic Sea Salt), Water, Beets, Potatoes, Onion, Reduced Fat Sour Cream (cultured Pasteurized Grade A Milk And Cream, Contains Less Than 1% Of Pectin, Agar, Vitamin A Palmitate, Enzymes), Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Salt, Black Pepper, Bay Leaf.
Over the next few months, you’ll start to notice a new design appearing everywhere you find Guiding Stars. Our new logo and nutrition guidance icons have been updated to tie more directly to nutrition and reinforce our “good,” “better,” or “best” messaging. We wanted to take some time to share our rationale behind the new…