Roasting garlic and shallots deepens and sweetens their flavor, making this soup rich and delicious. This potato soup is bound to become a new family favorite.
- 5 whole garlic heads, unpeeled
- 3½ Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 10 shallots, unpeeled (about ¾ lb.)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (½") cubed, peeled, baking potato (about ¾ lb.)
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To prepare soup, remove white papery skins from garlic heads (do not peel or separate cloves); cut off tops, leaving root ends intact. Place garlic in a shallow roasting pan. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over garlic; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover with foil. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Add shallots to the roasting pan. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over shallots; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and bake at 400°F until tender and browned (25 minutes). Allow garlic and shallots to cool.
- Squeeze garlic to extract pulp; peel shallots. Discard skins. Set garlic pulp and shallots aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion. Cover and cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally (15 minutes). Add garlic pulp, peeled shallots, and wine. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered (5 minutes).
- Stir in broth, potato, and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until potato is tender (20 minutes). Cool slightly.
- Place half of potato mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining potato mixture. Or use a hand held immersion blender right in the pot.
- Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper into pureed mixture. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|Total Sugars 9g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 11g|
|Vitamin D 0.6mcg||6%|
|Vitamin A 38.1mcg||4%|
|Vitamin C 15.9mg||20%|
|Vitamin E 0.9mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 5.5mcg||6%|
|Vitamin B6 0.4mg||25%|
|Vitamin B12 0.1mcg||4%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth (organic Chicken Broth (filtered Water, Organic Chicken Stock Sea Salt), Organic Chicken Flavor, Organic Onion Powder, Organic Potato Flavor, Yeast Extract, Organic Garlic Powder, Organic Flavor, Organic Turmeric And Flavor), Shallots, Potatoes, Onion, Nonfat Evaporated Milk (fat Free Milk, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3), White Wine, Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt, Black Pepper, Thyme.