Rainbow trout is a lovely seasonal treat. If it’s not available in your local market, look for sustainably-caught salmon as a substitute.
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder (ancho or guajillo)
- 4 rainbow trout fillets, with skin still attached
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Pulse pecans in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer pecans to a large plate. Heat the honey into a small saucepan set over medium-low heat. When warm, turn off the heat and stir in the red chili powder. Alternatively, microwave honey in a small bowl for 15 seconds until warm and stir in the chili powder.
- Dry the trout with paper towels. Season both sides with salt and pepper, and then brush the non-skin sides with the honey mixture. One at a time, roll the honey-side of each fillet in the pecans until well coated.
- Heat the vegetable in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. When shimmering, add as many of the fillets skin-side down as will comfortably fit. Cook until the skins are browned but not burnt, three to five minutes. Flip the fillets and cook until the other side is golden, about two minutes. Reduce the heat, if necessary. The honey will burn if the temperature is too high. Repeat process until all of the fillets are cooked.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with lemon wedges.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17.5g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 6g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||11%|
|Total Sugars 23g|
|Includes 23g Added Sugars||46%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 0g|
|Vitamin D 12.6mcg||70%|
|Vitamin A 96mcg||10%|
|Vitamin C 23.4mg||25%|
|Vitamin E 3.1mg||20%|
|Vitamin K 8.8mcg||8%|
|Vitamin B6 0.4mg||25%|
|Vitamin B12 3.4mcg||140%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Rainbow Trout, Honey, Lemon, Pecans, Soybean Oil, Chili Powder.
Over the next few months, you’ll start to notice a new design appearing everywhere you find Guiding Stars. Our new logo and nutrition guidance icons have been updated to tie more directly to nutrition and reinforce our “good,” “better,” or “best” messaging. We wanted to take some time to share our rationale behind the new…