Swap out your standby pizza dough to make mini pizzas with a flavorful vegetable: Portobello mushrooms! Lightly cooking the toppings before baking is the key to stellar flavor and texture.
Tip: The filling can be prepped in advance to make this come together more quickly.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, chopped, white part only
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- 4 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until they’re soft (8-10 minutes).
- Add the leek, tomatoes, and salt. Cook until the tomatoes are soft (5-6 minutes).
- Sprinkle the lemon juice over the vegetables and add the basil.
- Lay the mushroom gills-up on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and divide the vegetable mix between them. Sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
- Bake until mushrooms are tender and cheese is bubbling (15-18 minutes). Serve immediately.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5.5g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1.5g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3g|
|Total Carbohydrate 16g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 4g|
|Vitamin D 0.3mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 107mcg||10%|
|Vitamin C 30.5mg||35%|
|Vitamin E 1.6mg||15%|
|Vitamin K 66.3mcg||60%|
|Vitamin B6 0.4mg||25%|
|Vitamin B12 0.1mcg||4%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Tomatoes, Portobello Mushrooms, Onion, Leeks, Parmesan Cheese (pasteurized Part-skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Garlic, Basil, Parsley, Salt.
One of the oft-claimed benefits of choosing locally-grown foods is that they are nutritionally superior to foods that have to travel a distance to reach the consumer. This seems logical, but let’s take a closer look at this idea…