An elegant and simple dessert, this poaching recipe relies on the spices and the natural sweetness of pears to bring a satisfying end to any dinner party. Tart pomegranate seeds finish the flavor palate with bright note to balance the tender-sweet pears.
Tip: The wine you use will make a substantial difference to the flavor of the finished dish. If Riesling is not an option, a fruit-forward rosé would make a nice substitute, but avoid drier whites like Pinot Grigio.
- 1 (750 ml.) bottle sweet white wine, such as Riesling
- 4 very ripe pears, peeled and halved
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 2 cardamom pods, lightly smashed
- 3-4 whole cloves
- Seeds from one pomegranate half
- Add the wine and spices to a heavy saucepan. Heat the poaching liquid to a simmer over medium heat.
- When the liquid reaches a simmer, add the pears and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Do not allow the pan to boil over.
- Remove the pears and increase the heat, bringing the liquid up to a boil. Reduce to desired consistency (10-12 minutes). Strain spices before serving. Garnish pears (warm or cold) with pomegranate seeds and reduced poaching liquid.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0.5g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 38g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||25%|
|Total Sugars 23g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 8g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 2.2mcg||0%|
|Vitamin C 10.8mg||10%|
|Vitamin E 0.4mg||0%|
|Vitamin K 14.3mcg||10%|
|Vitamin B6 0.2mg||10%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
White Wine, Pears, Cardamom, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Cloves, Vanilla Bean, Pomegranate Seeds.
It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to stock up on new gear, so your students are prepared to start the school year in style. Don’t forget about school lunch as you create your shopping lists. Whether your family has decided between school lunch or lunch from home, there will likely be a field trip where your child could use these lunch supplies. Parents have a lot of cool new products to choose from to ensure that their child’s lunch is not only nutritious and safe, but also looks appetizing at lunch time. For this month’s Nutritious Nudge, I created a list of lunch supplies and considerations to help parents with their back to school shopping.