An elegant and simple dessert, this poaching recipe relies on the spices and the natural sweetness of pears to bring a satisfying end to any dinner party. Tart pomegranate seeds finish the flavor palate with bright note to balance the tender-sweet pears.
Tip: The wine you use will make a substantial difference to the flavor of the finished dish. If Riesling is not an option, a fruit-forward rosé would make a nice substitute, but avoid drier whites like Pinot Grigio.
- 1 (750 ml.) bottle sweet white wine, such as Riesling
- 4 very ripe pears, peeled and halved
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 2 cardamom pods, lightly smashed
- 3-4 whole cloves
- Seeds from one pomegranate half
- Add the wine and spices to a heavy saucepan. Heat the poaching liquid to a simmer over medium heat.
- When the liquid reaches a simmer, add the pears and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Do not allow the pan to boil over.
- Remove the pears and increase the heat, bringing the liquid up to a boil. Reduce to desired consistency (10-12 minutes). Strain spices before serving. Garnish pears (warm or cold) with pomegranate seeds and reduced poaching liquid.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0.5g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 38g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||25%|
|Total Sugars 23g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 8g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 2.2mcg||0%|
|Vitamin C 10.8mg||10%|
|Vitamin E 0.4mg||0%|
|Vitamin K 14.3mcg||10%|
|Vitamin B6 0.2mg||10%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
White Wine, Pears, Cardamom, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Cloves, Vanilla Bean, Pomegranate Seeds.
Shakshuka is not a well-known dish in all parts of the U.S. I only learned about it from a little cafe in Philadelphia when I was traveling for a conference a few years ago. I fell in love immediately and started looking for variations for Guiding Stars. For me, discovering new dishes from different cultures is a small and delicious reminder of the richness diversity brings to our lives.