“Bathed bread” is a traditional French sandwich that is at its best when the oil from the ingredients has a chance to soak into the bread overnight. But if you’re short on time, keep a tub of the salad in the fridge for a few days and scoop onto toasted bread for a quicker meal. This is a recipe of convenience: if the odds and ends of tasty olives and veggies in your freezer looks a little different, don’t be afraid to play around with things like capers, roasted red peppers or sun-dried tomato to get a flavor you love.
- ½ whole wheat baguette, halved
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 (6 oz.) can Guiding Stars-earning tuna, drained
- ½ cup kalamata olives, sliced
- ½ cup red bell pepper,sliced thin
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
- ¼ cup French green beans, blanched and chopped
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- Mix all ingredients except bread and spoon evenly over bread.
- Wrap sandwich tightly in plastic, weigh down, and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, cut in half and enjoy chilled.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 50.5g||78%|
|Saturated Fat 6.5g||30%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 5.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 30.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 58g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 3g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
White Tuna In Water, French Baguette Artisan Bread (water, Enriched Flour (wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Enriched Flour (wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Contains 2% Or Less Of: Salt, Yeast), Artichoke Hearts, Olive Oil, Pitted Kalamata Olives (kalamata Olives, Water, Red Wine Vinegar, Sea Salt, Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Bell Pepper, Lemon Juice, Onion, Green Beans, Parsley, Garlic, Basil.
Overnight oatmeal is a piece of cake, and oatmeal is a great food to include in a heart-healthy diet. The only thing to watch out for is added sugar: many of us like our oatmeal covered in sugar. This recipe uses carrots and raisins and spice to minimize the need for sugar while keeping the flavor and texture high. It does include maple syrup, but you can leave the maple syrup out without hurting the flavor if you want to balance the nutrition a bit better.