Chicken parmesan is a classic dish, a favorite comfort food, and surprisingly easy to adapt for a nutritious eating plan. Cooking the chicken in the oven, aside from being the easiest method for home cooks, also lets you get a crispy cutlet without the oil involved in deep frying.
- 2 cups panko
- ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- Pepper to taste
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cooking spray
- 1 recipe Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup low-fat mozzarella
- 1 lb. whole wheat spaghetti, cooked
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a 9″ x 13” baking dish, stir together the panko, Parmesan, and olive oil. Bake until golden brown (6-8 minutes). Set aside to cool, leaving oven on.
- Whisk together eggs, herbs, and milk in a shallow dish. Set aside.
- Using a fork, combine garlic, salt, flour, and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Slice each chicken breast horizontally to create two thin cutlets per breast. Dip chicken into the flour mixture then the egg wash, and finally the panko mixture. At each step, be sure cutlet is fully coated and excess has been shaken off.
- Place coated cutlets onto a rack on a baking pan or cookie sheet. Lightly spray each cutlet with cooking spray. Bake chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF (12-15 minutes).
- While chicken is cooking, heat tomato sauce in a saucepan and cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- When chicken is done, turn broiler to high. Spoon tomato sauce over the cutlet and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and browned (1-2 minutes).
- Serve with pasta and remaining tomato sauce.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||19%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7g|
|Total Carbohydrate 72g||26%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||35%|
|Total Sugars 10g|
|Includes 1g Added Sugars||1%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 43g|
|Vitamin D 0.2mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 167.9mcg||20%|
|Vitamin C 45.6mg||50%|
|Vitamin E 3.1mg||20%|
|Vitamin K 42.8mcg||35%|
|Vitamin B6 0.9mg||60%|
|Vitamin B12 0.5mcg||20%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Tomatoes, Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Whole Wheat Spaghetti (durum Whole Wheat Semolina, Niacin, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulphate (iron), Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate), Shredded Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese (pasteurized Part-skim Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt And Enzymes, Potato Starch, Corn Starch And Calcium Sulfate Added To Prevent Caking, Natamycin (a Natural Mold Inhibitor), Panko (wheat Flour, Salt, Yeast, Sugar, Yeast Food), Whole Wheat Flour, Egg Whites, Skim Milk, Red Bell Pepper, Olive Oil, Orange Juice, Parmesan Cheese (pasteurized Part-skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Oregano, Basil, Salt, Garlic, Parsley, Black Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes.