Toshikoshi soba, loosely translated as “year-turning noodles,” is a traditional Japanese meal used to ring in the new year. It’s traditionally made with dashi, and if you’re feeling adventurous, you can search the internet for traditional recipes and replace the broth here with dashi stock. This recipe is modified to help you make a less salt-heavy version with ingredients that are easily found in your grocery store, but if you have a chance to check out your local Asian market and ask for guidance, you’re sure to discover new flavors that will delight you.
- 4 cups low-sodium mushroom or vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup mirin or sake
- 1 (½ oz.) pkg. nori (about 8 sheets), crumbled
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz. 100% whole buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced thin
- In a large pan, bring your broth to simmer. Add the mirin and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Lastly, crumble in one sheet of the nori and add the soy sauce. Keep warm.
- At the same time, heat the sesame oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they have released their liquid and the pan has cooked mostly dry. Remove from heat.
- Cook soba noodles in water, according to package instructions. Drain and divide into four bowls.
- Pour broth over the noodles and top with the cooked mushrooms, crumbled nori, and sliced onions.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2g|
|Total Carbohydrate 54g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 43g|
|Vitamin D 0.2mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 82.9mcg||10%|
|Vitamin C 5.6mg||6%|
|Vitamin E 0.3mg||0%|
|Vitamin K 47.2mcg||40%|
|Vitamin B6 0.2mg||10%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (water, Organic Carrots, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Leeks, Organic Tomato Puree (organic Tomatoes, Sea Salt, Citric Acid), Organic Mushrooms, Organic Garlic, Organic Spices, Organic Sea Salt), 100% Whole Buckwheat Soba Noodles (whole Buckwheat Flour), Shiitake Mushroom, Spring Onion, Low Sodium Soy Sauce (water, Wheat, Soybeans, Salt, Lactic Acid, Sodium Benzoate: Less Than 1/10th Of 1% As A Preservative), Sake Wine, Nori, Sesame Oil.