This quick and simple dish is an earthy delight, lightly garnishing toothsome whole wheat pasta with aromatic thyme and the simplicity of good mushrooms.
- 2 Tbsp. dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 5 tsp. olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ lb. shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¾ lb. crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme, plus sprigs for garnish
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ lb. whole wheat linguine
- In a small, heat-proof bowl, combine the dried porcini mushrooms and boiling water. Let stand for 20 minutes. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and chop. Set aside.
- Line a fine-mesh sieve with a coffee filter or cheesecloth and strain the mushroom-soaking liquid. Reserve the liquid.
- Cook linguine according to package directions and drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Add the shallots and sauté until soft and translucent (2-3 minutes). Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the shiitake mushrooms and sauté until they brown around the edges (3-4 minutes).
- Stir in the cremini mushrooms, porcini mushrooms, reserved soaking liquid, stock, and salt. Cover and cook until the mushrooms are tender (4-5 minutes).
- Uncover and stir in the butter, chopped thyme, and pepper.
- To serve, top portions of pasta with mushroom sauce and garnish with thyme.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||14%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 58g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||32%|
|Total Sugars 7g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 41g|
|Vitamin D 0.3mcg||2%|
|Vitamin A 33.8mcg||4%|
|Vitamin C 4.9mg||6%|
|Vitamin E 1.2mg||8%|
|Vitamin K 5.3mcg||4%|
|Vitamin B6 0.6mg||30%|
|Vitamin B12 0.1mcg||4%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Crimini Mushrooms, Water, Shiitake Mushroom, Whole Wheat Linguine (durum Whole Wheat Semolina, Niacin, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulphate (iron), Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate), Vegetable Broth (water, Carrots, Onion, Celery, Tomatoes, Leeks, Sea Salt, Mushrooms, Garlic, Savory Leaf, Ground Bay Leaf), Shallots, Olive Oil, Dried Porcini Mushrooms, Butter (sweet Cream), Garlic, Thyme, Salt, Black Pepper.
It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to stock up on new gear, so your students are prepared to start the school year in style. Don’t forget about school lunch as you create your shopping lists. Whether your family has decided between school lunch or lunch from home, there will likely be a field trip where your child could use these lunch supplies. Parents have a lot of cool new products to choose from to ensure that their child’s lunch is not only nutritious and safe, but also looks appetizing at lunch time. For this month’s Nutritious Nudge, I created a list of lunch supplies and considerations to help parents with their back to school shopping.