Fire-roasted tomatoes and capers spice up this incredibly easy pasta dish without overwhelming the delicate flavor of oyster mushrooms. If you’re working on replacing meat with more plant-based foods, mushrooms are a wonderful, hearty alternative to meat, and this dish showcases how to use them with a classic pasta dish.
Tip: If oyster mushrooms are not available at your grocery store, they can be replaced with white mushrooms.
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 6 oz. whole wheat linguine
- 1 (16 oz.) can crushed, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. capers
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- 4 basil leaves, sliced
- Cook mushrooms over high heat. Do not stir until water has released and evaporated and mushrooms are partially brown (4-5 minutes). Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is boiling, add tomatoes, capers, juice, and pepper to a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer.
- Top pasta with sauce, basil, and seared mushrooms to serve.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 87g||31%|
|Dietary Fiber 13.5g||46%|
|Total Sugars 14g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 59g|
|Vitamin D 0.6mcg||6%|
|Vitamin A 4.9mcg||0%|
|Vitamin C 9.7mg||10%|
|Vitamin E 0.5mg||0%|
|Vitamin K 6.4mcg||6%|
|Vitamin B6 0.3mg||20%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Fire Roasted Tomatoes (tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Sea Salt, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride)), Whole Wheat Linguine (durum Whole Wheat Semolina, Niacin, Folic Acid, Ferrous Sulphate (iron), Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate), Oyster Mushrooms, Lemon Juice, Capers (capers In Vinegar, Water, Salt), Basil.
It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to stock up on new gear, so your students are prepared to start the school year in style. Don’t forget about school lunch as you create your shopping lists. Whether your family has decided between school lunch or lunch from home, there will likely be a field trip where your child could use these lunch supplies. Parents have a lot of cool new products to choose from to ensure that their child’s lunch is not only nutritious and safe, but also looks appetizing at lunch time. For this month’s Nutritious Nudge, I created a list of lunch supplies and considerations to help parents with their back to school shopping.