When it’s cold outside, you’ll be glad for an extra bit of spice in your meals. Stuffed with brown rice, lean meats, tomatoes, and a host of daring spices, these peppers are a great way to celebrate Mardi Gras, or any wintry Tuesday.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 10 oz. spicy chicken sausage, cases removed
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (14 oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups brown rice
- 6 large bell peppers, cleaned and tops removed
- 1½ tsp. hot sauce
- Heat a third of the olive oil in a large stockpot. Add chicken and sausage to pan and cook until lightly browned, breaking sausage into bite-sized chunks as it cooks (5-6 minutes).
- Add jalapeño, onion, and garlic. Cook until just soft (6-8 minutes).
- Add Cajun seasoning, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and add rice. Cover pot and simmer on low until rice is tender, adding extra water if necessary to keep the pan from going dry (40 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Stuff peppers with cooked rice mixture, drizzle with hot sauce and remaining olive oil. Place in oven and bake until peppers are tender when pierced with a fork (25-30 minutes).
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13.5g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 53g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.5g||21%|
|Total Sugars 11g|
|Includes 1g Added Sugars||2%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 36g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 276.7mcg||30%|
|Vitamin C 219.6mg||240%|
|Vitamin E 4.3mg||25%|
|Vitamin K 12.9mcg||10%|
|Vitamin B6 1.1mg||60%|
|Vitamin B12 0.1mcg||4%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Bell Pepper, Low Sodium Chicken Broth (chicken Broth (filtered Water, Chicken), Chicken Flavor, Natural Chicken Flavor (chicken Broth, Salt), Evaporated Cane Juice, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Onion Powder, Turmeric, Flavor), No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes (tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride), Brown Rice, Spicy Chicken Sausage (skinless Chicken Meat, Roasted Red Peppers (red Peppers, Water, Salt, Citric Acid), Water, Contains 2% Or Less Of Seasoning (sea Salt, Sugar, Jalapeno Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder), Jalapeno Peppers), Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, Onion, Olive Oil, Tomato Paste, Jalapeno Pepper, Hot Pepper Sauce (distilled Vinegar, Red Pepper, Salt), Garlic, Cajun Seasoning (paprika, Onion, Garlic, Black Pepper, Lemon Peel, Chile Pepper, Allspice, Thyme, Cloves, Mace, Red Pepper, Bay Leaf).
Over the next few months, you’ll start to notice a new design appearing everywhere you find Guiding Stars. Our new logo and nutrition guidance icons have been updated to tie more directly to nutrition and reinforce our “good,” “better,” or “best” messaging. We wanted to take some time to share our rationale behind the new…