Use any fruit of your choice in this delicate creation that’s perfect for spoiling yourself when you have the luxury of a morning alone.
Tips on working with egg whites:
- When beating egg whites to form peaks, avoid plastic and wooden utensils and bowls, which can harbor fat particles that will ruin the fluffy structure of the whipped proteins. Metal is best
- Work with room temperature whites and equipment.
- A pinch of cream of tartar will help your whites achieve the desired stiffness.
- Don’t under-beat the whites, or these pancakes will turn out flat like crepes.
- The fresher the egg, the better. Liquid egg whites will not work well for this recipe.
- 3 egg whites, divided
- ¼ cup skim milk, warmed
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 dash of vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ cup peaches, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place a small cast-iron frying pan in the oven to heat.
- Whisk two egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Separately, mix the remaining egg white, flour, salt, honey and vanilla. Whisk in the warmed milk.
- Gently in fold the beaten egg whites, using a metal spoon.
- Heat the oil in the pan. Pour the batter in and cook on the stovetop until the edges begin to set.
- Gently sprinkle the fruit over the pancakes and place in the heated oven and bake for 5-7 minutes, until puffy and lightly browned.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 2.5g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 8.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 39g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||14%|
|Total Sugars 16g|
|Includes 6g Added Sugars||12%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 18g|
|Vitamin D 0.7mcg||6%|
|Vitamin A 50mcg||6%|
|Vitamin C 5.1mg||6%|
|Vitamin E 1.9mg||15%|
|Vitamin K 27.6mcg||25%|
|Vitamin B6 0.2mg||10%|
|Vitamin B12 0.4mcg||15%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Egg Whites, Peaches, Skim Milk, Whole Wheat Flour, Soybean Oil, Honey, Vanilla Extract, Salt.