Kids will love this homemade snack bar and you can send it with them to school, confident that the fiber, protein, and heart-healthy fat will keep them full and energized to help them focus on learning and playing all day long.
Tip: Prep these over the weekend and use for snacks throughout the week.
- 1⅓ cup pitted dates
- 1¼ cup crisp brown rice cereal
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped peanuts
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. water
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Spray an 8″x8″ pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the dates in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Remove ⅓ cup of the chopped dates and set aside.
- Combine the remaining chopped dates with the cereal, oats, peanuts, flaxseed, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Return the reserved ⅓ cup dates to the food processor with the water and process until smooth.
- Combine the date and water mixture with the peanut butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until completely blended (3-5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Combine the peanut butter mixture with the cereal mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Press mixture evenly into the pan and allow it to cool (15 minutes) before cutting into bars to serve.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13.5g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 43g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||21%|
|Total Sugars 21g|
|Includes 2g Added Sugars||4%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 2g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 1.9mcg||0%|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|Vitamin E 1mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 0.9mcg||0%|
|Vitamin B6 0.2mg||10%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Medjool Dates, Whole Grain Oats, Natural Peanut Butter (dry Roasted Peanuts), Bittersweet Chocolate Chips (chocolate, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Milkfat, Nonfat Milk, Natural Flavor), 100% Whole Grain Crispy Brown Rice Cereal (organic Brown Rice, Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Sea Salt), Chopped Dry Roasted Peanuts, Water, Flax Seed Meal, Vanilla Extract, Ground Cinnamon, Salt.
Throughout my career, I’ve been lucky to visit several small family farms. I’ve chatted with farmers, learned about their craft, and spent time sharing their passion. There is often a story that brings them to this challenging and highly rewarding work. There is a common theme that runs through them all, which is their devotion to their work, their deep love for their animals, their connection to their soil, and the pride they share in being able to nourish their community. I’ve always walked away from a farm tour with a sense of awe as to how they do it, and of course, a deep appreciation that they do.