If you haven’t tried putting beer in your chili then you are in for a treat! Our own Jim McBride won a chili cookoff with this recipe–read more about the intense competition that led to this star-earning chili earning mad props with the gardening set.
- 2 lbs. ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1½ cups onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. thyme
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14½ oz.) can chili diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14½ oz.) can low sodium beef broth
- 12 oz. dark beer
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
2 (15 oz.) cans low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Brown ground beef in stockpot over medium heat (8-10 minutes). Remove from stockpot with slotted spoon. Set aside. Pour off drippings.
- Heat oil in same stockpot over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and garlic; cook until onions are tender (3-5 minutes). Add bell peppers and jalapeño and cook until tender (4-5 minutes).
- Return beef to stockpot. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, thyme and cayenne; cook and stir until toasted (2-3 minutes).
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, broth, beer, and tomato paste; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 45 minutes. Uncover stockpot and continue simmering until thickened (30-40 minutes).
- Stir in beans; cook until beans are heated through (5-10 minutes). Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
*Optional garnishes have not been included in the rating of this recipe.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0.5g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3g|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||35%|
|Total Sugars 8g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 12g|
|Vitamin D 0.1mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 96.5mcg||10%|
|Vitamin C 76.1mg||80%|
|Vitamin E 4.5mg||30%|
|Vitamin K 20.4mcg||15%|
|Vitamin B6 0.9mg||50%|
|Vitamin B12 2.6mcg||110%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
95% Lean Ground Beef, Crushed Tomatoes (tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Salt, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride), Low Sodium Black Beans (black Beans, Water, Sea Salt), Chili Diced Tomatoes (tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Salt, Green Chili Peppers, Dried Onions, Vinegar, Spices, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride, Natural Flavors), Low Sodium Beef Broth (organic Beef Broth (filtered Water, Organic Beef), Organic Onions, Organic Celery, Organic Beef Flavor, Organic Carrots, Organic Garlic, Organic Caramel Color, Natural Flavors (with Yeast Extract), Sea Salt, Organic Spices), Beer (water, Barley, Hops And Yeast), Onion, Yellow Bell Pepper, Tomato Paste, Chili Powder, Garlic, Jalapeno Pepper, Vegetable Oil, Cumin, Oregano, Thyme, Cayenne Pepper.
Grilling season… the most wonderful time of year when you can bring the cooking outside and when pots and pans don’t greet you after a delicious dinner! As we embark on another season of warm weather cooking, it seems like the right time for a little “grill basics” refresher.