If you haven’t tried putting beer in your chili then you are in for a treat! Our own Jim McBride won a chili cookoff with this recipe–read more about the intense competition that led to this star-earning chili earning mad props with the gardening set.
- 2 lbs. ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. thyme
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14½ oz.) can chili diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14½ oz.) can beef broth
- 12 oz. dark beer
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Brown ground beef in stockpot over medium heat (8-10 minutes). Remove from stockpot with slotted spoon. Set aside. Pour off drippings.
- Heat oil in same stockpot over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and garlic; cook until onions are tender (3-5 minutes). Add bell peppers and jalapeño and cook until tender (4-5 minutes).
- Return beef to stockpot. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, thyme and cayenne; cook and stir until toasted (2-3 minutes).
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, broth, beer, and tomato paste; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 45 minutes. Uncover stockpot and continue simmering until thickened (30-40 minutes).
- Stir in beans; cook until beans are heated through (5-10 minutes). Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7.5g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.5g||0%|
|Total Sugars 9g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 13g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
96% Ground Beef, Canned Tomatoes (tomatoes In Juice (tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Calcium Chloride, Citric Acid), Tomato Puree (water, Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes), Salt), Black Beans (black Beans, Water, Salt), Beef Broth (beef Broth, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Caramel Color, Natural Flavors, Maltodextrin, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate), Tomatoes With Green Chilies (tomatoes, Tomato Juice, Salt, Green Chili Peppers, Dried Onions, Vinegar, Spices, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride, Natural Flavors), Beer (water, Barley, Hops And Yeast), Yellow Bell Pepper, Onion, Tomato Paste (tomato Pulp), Chili Powder, Garlic, Soybean Oil, Jalapeno Pepper, Cumin, Oregano, Thyme, Chili Pepper.
During the holidays, we gather with friends and family to lavish each other with love...often in the form of food. As much as we all enjoy the sweets this time of year, they can be rough on our systems. That's true of everyone, but especially true of people with conditions like diabetes who need to watch their food carefully to manage their blood sugar safely. This year, why not show your love by adding in one or two options to help your guests manage their health?