Lemon brightens the flavor of everything and works very nicely here with the arugula. Lentils and couscous are a filling combination that hold up well with the dressing, making this a great option for lunch.
- 1¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 4 cups arugula or mixed salad greens
- 1 cup French lentils, cooked and cooled
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup red-wine vinegar
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Add couscous, cover, remove from the heat and let stand until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Toss arugula with ¼ cup of the vinaigrette in a large bowl, then divide among four plates.
- Toss the couscous and lentils with another ¼ cup of vinaigrette; divide the mixture among the plates. Top each salad with cucumber, tomatoes and feta.
- Drizzle each salad with 1 tablespoon of vinaigrette.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18.5g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 2g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11g|
|Total Carbohydrate 73g||24%|
|Dietary Fiber 18.5g||73%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 17g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Water, Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (filtered Water, Organic Carrots, Organic Tomatoes, Organic Celery, Organic Onions, Organic Garlic, Organic Leeks, Sea Salt, Organic Bay Leaves, Organic Parsley, Organic Thyme), Cucumber, Lentils, Couscous (100% Durum Wheat Semolina), Tomatoes, Arugula, Feta Cheese (milk, Salt, Enzymes, Cheese Cultures), Lemon Juice, Red Wine Vinegar, Olive Oil, Dijon Mustard (water, Mustard Seed, Mustard Flour, Vinegar, Salt, White Wine, Citric Acid, Tumeric, Spices), Garlic, Salt, Black Pepper.
During the holidays, we gather with friends and family to lavish each other with love...often in the form of food. As much as we all enjoy the sweets this time of year, they can be rough on our systems. That's true of everyone, but especially true of people with conditions like diabetes who need to watch their food carefully to manage their blood sugar safely. This year, why not show your love by adding in one or two options to help your guests manage their health?