This tasty chicken, braised in a wine and tomato sauce, will impress anyone who loves Italian food. Switch up the pasta shape if you like–letting kids choose their favorite shape is a simple way to give them ownership over the meal and give them more motivation to try something new with enthusiasm.
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup. dry white wine
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. salt-free Italian herb seasoning
12 oz. pasta shells, cooked
- ¼ cup. chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Toss chicken with the flour mixture, discarding excess flour.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken on all sides (2-3 minutes).
- Pour the wine into the Dutch oven, scraping to dislodge any browned bits. Stir in the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the undrained tomatoes and herb seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- Bake, covered, for 1 hour, or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center.
- Top hot pasta with the chicken mixture. Sprinkle with the parsley.
*Optional garnishes have not been included in the rating of this recipe.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4.5g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||12%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 20g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 225.2mcg||25%|
|Vitamin C 13.4mg||15%|
|Vitamin E 1mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 7.5mcg||6%|
|Vitamin B6 1mg||60%|
|Vitamin B12 0.2mcg||10%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, No Salt Added Crushed Tomatoes (organic Tomatoes, Organic Tomato Puree (water, Organic Tomato Paste)), Pasta Shells (durum Semolina Wheat, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), White Wine, Carrots, Onion, Celery, Enriched All Purpose Flour (unbleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Garlic, Olive Oil, Salt, Italian Seasoning (marjoram, Thyme, Rosemary, Savory, Sage, Oregano, And Basil), Black Pepper.
Over the next few months, you’ll start to notice a new design appearing everywhere you find Guiding Stars. Our new logo and nutrition guidance icons have been updated to tie more directly to nutrition and reinforce our “good,” “better,” or “best” messaging. We wanted to take some time to share our rationale behind the new…