The recipe below is gluten-free, and it’ll make as good a pancake as any other GF recipe will without the hassle of potato starch, xanthan gum, and all of the other additives required to make non-gluten ingredients act like the ones they’re mimicking. This recipe makes about (12) 4 inch pancakes.
Number of Servings: 4 (103 G )
Created by: Erin Dow
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- 1 1/3 c. buckwheat flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/3 c. plain yogurt
- 1/3 c. skim milk
- 2 T. water
- 1 T. melted butter
- 2 t. vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 egg whites
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk together yogurt, milk and water. Add the melted butter (and vanilla, if using) to the milk mixture and stir to combine.
- In a clean metal or glass bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Combine the dry and liquid ingredients together. Add 1/2 of the beaten whites and stir gently to combine, then add the remaining whites and fold gently into the batter, preserving as much air as possible. Allow to stand for about 3 minutes or until bubbles form at the surface.
- Preheat a seasoned cast iron griddle or nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Ladle about 2 tablespoons of batter onto the pan and spread into a 4″ pancake. Allow to cook for approximately 45 seconds, then flip and continue to cook until the center is done. Remove to a warm plate or keep warm on a rack in the oven until ready to eat.