If you choose the source of your buckwheat flour carefully, these pancakes are gluten-free. Using whipped egg whites gives them loft and tenderness to rival a traditional pancake–well worth the work.
- 1⅓ cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 egg whites
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk together yogurt, milk, and water. Add the melted butter (and vanilla, if using) to the milk mixture and stir to combine.
- In a clean metal or glass bowl, beat the egg whites with a mixer until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes).
- Combine the dry and liquid mixtures together. Add half the beaten whites and stir gently to combine, then add the remaining whites and fold gently into the batter, preserving as much air as possible. Allow to stand until bubbling (2-3 minutes).
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat. Ladle about 2 tablespoons of batter onto the pan to form a 4″ pancake. Cook until center is bubbly and edges are dry (1 and a half minute). Flip and continue to cook until the center is done (30-45 seconds). Remove to a plate in a just-warm oven and repeat this step until batter is gone.
- Serve hot, topped with fruit.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4.5g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1g|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||16%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 25g|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Buckwheat Flour, Skim Milk, Egg Whites, Organic Low Fat Plain Yogurt (cultured Pasteurized Organic Low Fat Milk, Pectin, Vitamin D3, Six Live Active Cultures), Water, Butter (sweet Cream), Baking Powder (sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate), Salt.
This week's recipe review brings you not one, but two recipes and a brilliant idea for combining them. Store-bought pie dough and cranberry sauce generally don't earn Guiding Stars because of salt, sugar, and saturated fat, but our team loves these recipes in our database