Pasta and mushrooms are a gorgeous combination, especially when you pay attention to your cooking liquid. This recipe uses the soaking water for dried mushrooms and the cooking water for pasta to bring together a silky-smooth vegetarian sauce packed with umami.
- ½ cup dried porcini mushrooms (about ½ oz.)
- ⅔ cup boiling water
- 8 oz. uncooked bucatini
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 (4 oz.) packages exotic mushroom blend, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. dry sherry
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- ¼ cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh sage
½ tsp. cracked black pepper
- Sage sprigs
- Rinse porcini thoroughly. Combine porcini and 2/3 cup boiling water in a bowl; cover and let stand (30 minutes). Drain in a sieve over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup soaking liquid. Chop porcini.
- Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente (10 minutes). Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots, mushroom blend, and garlic; sauté, stirring frequently. (5 minutes)
- Stir in porcini, sherry, and salt; cook until liquid evaporates (1 minute).
- Finely grate 1 ounce cheese; crumble remaining cheese. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in pasta, 1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid, 1/4 cup reserved porcini soaking liquid, 1/4 cup grated cheese, evaporated milk, chopped sage, and pepper; toss well to combine.
- Place about 1 1/4 cups pasta mixture on each of 4 plates; top each serving with about 1 tablespoon crumbled cheese. Garnish with sage sprigs, if desired.
*Optional garnishes have not been included in the rating of this recipe.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 3.5g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 51g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||11%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 43g|
|Vitamin D 0.4mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 55.6mcg||6%|
|Vitamin C 2.7mg||4%|
|Vitamin E 0.7mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 3.1mcg||2%|
|Vitamin B6 0.2mg||10%|
|Vitamin B12 0.1mcg||4%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Bucatini (wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Exotic Mushroom Blend, Water, Nonfat Evaporated Milk (fat Free Milk, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3), Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese (cow's Milk, Rennet, Salt), Shallots, Cooking Sherry (sherry Wine, Salt, Potassium Sorbate (preservative), Sodium Metabisulfite (preservative)), Dried Porcini Mushrooms, Canola Oil, Garlic, Salt, Black Pepper, Sage.