Decadent browned butter sauce is an optional topping for this hearty, wholesome soup that puts your wintered over (or fresh!) pumpkins to excellent use. Serve with a generous salad of leafy greens for a meal balanced in texture and temperature.
Tip: You can swap in canned pumpkin puree (about two cans) if fresh pumpkins aren’t in season!
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, quartered lengthwise and finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, finely sliced
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 medium sugar pumpkin, roasted and cooled
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 whole stems thyme
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. picked thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Warm olive oil over medium-high heat. Add leeks and onion and cook until softened. Add broth and maple syrup and bring to a simmer.
- Add roasted pumpkin, bay leaves and whole thyme to the pot. Let simmer for 15-30 minutes then remove leave and stems. Puree soup until completely smooth.
- (Optional) Heat butter in a small skillet over medium heat until butter is browned and nutty. Remove from heat and add thyme leaves. Add lemon juice and drizzle over individual portions of soup.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3.5g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||4%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Includes 3g Added Sugars||6%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 4g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 319mcg||35%|
|Vitamin C 9.8mg||10%|
|Vitamin E 1.2mg||6%|
|Vitamin K 13mcg||10%|
|Vitamin B6 0.1mg||6%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (water, Organic Carrots, Organic Onion, Organic Celery, Organic Leeks, Organic Tomato Puree, Organic Mushrooms, Organic Garlic, Sea Salt, Organic Savory Leaf, Organic Ground Bay Leaf), Pumpkin, Leeks, Onion, Maple Syrup, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Thyme, Bay Leaf.