Although we recommend broccoli rabe as a nice winter green, this recipe will work equally well with your favorite dark leafy greens. Chard, kale, spinach—they all work with the simple, flavorful spices of this easy, veggie-heavy weeknight meal for all seasons.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon dried red chili flakes
- 2 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups whole grain penne
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino-Romano cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a skillet until shimmering. Add the shallots, salt and chili flakes and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add half the broth and broccoli rabe and stir until the rabe wilts. Add the rest of the rabe and broth and cook down.
- Stir in the pasta. Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the pasta is cooked. Stir in the lemon juice and garnish lightly with cheese.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5g|
|Total Carbohydrate 64g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||29%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Includes 0g Added Sugars||0%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 2g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 66.6mcg||8%|
|Vitamin C 12.8mg||15%|
|Vitamin E 1.9mg||15%|
|Vitamin K 94.8mcg||80%|
|Vitamin B6 0.5mg||30%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Low Sodium Beef Broth (beef Broth, Less Than 1% Of The Following: Hydrolyzed Protein (soy, Corn, Wheat), Monosodium Glutamate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein And Wheat Bran Protein, Natural Flavor, Onion Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Caramel Color, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Salt, Dextrose, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate), Whole Wheat Pasta (durum Semolina, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate (iron), Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Broccoli Raab, Shallots, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Pecorino Romano Cheese (cultured Sheep's Milk, Enzymes, Salt, Cellulose To Prevent Caking, Natamycin To Protect Flavor), Garlic, Salt, Red Pepper Flakes, Black Pepper.
It’s back to school season. That means it’s time to stock up on new gear, so your students are prepared to start the school year in style. Don’t forget about school lunch as you create your shopping lists. Whether your family has decided between school lunch or lunch from home, there will likely be a field trip where your child could use these lunch supplies. Parents have a lot of cool new products to choose from to ensure that their child’s lunch is not only nutritious and safe, but also looks appetizing at lunch time. For this month’s Nutritious Nudge, I created a list of lunch supplies and considerations to help parents with their back to school shopping.