A cross between traditional apple crisp and more cake-like apple crumb bars, this dessert will meet your cravings for a luscious fall treat. A tart, firm apple like a Granny Smith provides the best combination of taste and texture, but the recipe can be made with whatever fruit you have on hand. Pears or berries would also work wonderfully in this simple, flexible recipe.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- ¼ cup apple-juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9″ square or 7″x11″ baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk oats, flours, brown sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Work in the oil and apple-juice concentrate with a fork or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press 2 cups of the oat mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Arrange apple slices.
- Mix the walnuts into the remaining oat mixture. Sprinkle over the apples and pat into an even layer.
- Bake until the top is golden and the apples are tender when pierced (30-35 minutes). Cool completely on a wire rack.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9.5g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 4g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4g|
|Total Carbohydrate 64g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.5g||20%|
|Total Sugars 31g|
|Includes 24g Added Sugars||47%|
|Sugar Alcohol 0g|
|Other Carbohydrate 17g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|Vitamin A 2mcg||0%|
|Vitamin C 3.7mg||4%|
|Vitamin E 1.3mg||8%|
|Vitamin K 5.6mcg||4%|
|Vitamin B6 0.1mg||8%|
|Vitamin B12 0mcg||0%|
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Apples, Brown Sugar, Whole Grain Oats, Enriched All Purpose Flour (unbleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Whole Wheat Flour, Apple Juice Concentrate, Canola Oil, Walnuts, Baking Powder (sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate), Salt, Lemon Zest, Cinnamon, Ground Nutmeg.
Over the next few months, you’ll start to notice a new design appearing everywhere you find Guiding Stars. Our new logo and nutrition guidance icons have been updated to tie more directly to nutrition and reinforce our “good,” “better,” or “best” messaging. We wanted to take some time to share our rationale behind the new…